That’s right, never share your chocolate… at least not with your cat or dog anyway.
Although many dogs and cats love the taste of chocolate as we do, many pet owners don’t realise the risks to their pets from eating chocolate.
Chocolate contains an ingredient called Theobromide which dogs and cats cannot break down. It acts as a poison in their system and if enough chocolate is consumed it can even be fatal.
A lethal dosage is 7 grams baking chocolate or 60 grams milk chocolate per kilogram of bodyweight.
If you think your pet has eaten a large amount of chocolate, especially dark chocolate or baking chocolate, you should take your pet straight to the vet. As the symptoms of chocolate poisoning can appear slowly, don’t be fooled into thinking everything is OK as early detection and treatment can make a big difference.
The symptoms to look out for are:
- Diarrhoea 2 hours after eating the chocolate
- Urinating more
Poisoning can progress to seizures and heart problems, so it is important to contact your local Vets4Pets practice as soon as possible. We will probably ask you the size of your dog or cat and the type and quantity of chocolate they have eaten in order to give you the best advice.
So remember, the chocolate in your house is only for you!