Teaching your puppy to sit is one of the most useful commands they will learn. Luckily it is one of the easiest to teach too. Just follow the Vets4Pets simple steps:
- Find some yummy treats that your puppy loves.
- Hold a treat in front of your puppy’s nose and then lift your hand and move it backwards over your puppy’s head. Say ‘Sit’ as you do this.
- As your puppy looks up and watches the treat, he or she should naturally end up sitting down. If your puppy walks backwards, try going nearer to a wall.
- As soon as your puppy’s bottom touches the floor, give the treat with lots of praise.
- Keep repeating this until you can do it just by moving your hand without a treat in it and then eventually without your hand at all.
Easy peasy! Once you’ve taught your puppy to sit, then you can progress to ‘Down’.