Many of the things we have around the house can potentially have devastating consequences for our pets. Some things we can tolerate can be damaging to them.
Lily Poisoning In Cats
Unfortunately, lilies and cats are a harmful mix. Even cleaning the pollen from their fur can be enough to send cats into critical illness and awareness of the risks of lily poisoning is important for every cat owner.
Paracetamol Poisoning In Cats
We often think of our feline friends as being an extended part of our family. We share many things with them; our home, our love and occasionally even some of our dinner! While sharing our lives with cats is intensely rewarding, not everything we do as humans can be shared with our cats.
Permethrin Poisoning In Cats
Permethrin is one of the most commonly reported poisonings in cats worldwide. A commonly used ingredient in flea-control products for dogs, cats are incredibly sensitive to permethrin, and up to 40% of cats who come into contact with it may die or have to be put to sleep.
Blue-Green Algae Poisoning In Pets
These bacteria can’t be seen with the naked eye but when they clump together on the surface of the water they can look like green, blue-green or brown algae. They’re appearance is sometimes describes as a blue-green scum or foam and often accumulates at the edges non-flowing fresh water such as ponds, lakes and reservoirs. They are most abundant during periods of hot, sunny weather and low rainfall in mid-to late summer months.
Conker Hazards In Dogs
In Autumn, conkers (also know as Horse Chestnuts), can be found in abundance in streets and woods.
Antifreeze Poisoning In Cats
Sadly, antifreeze is hugely toxic to cats, and every year cats across Britain are seriously ill or die from antifreeze poisoning.
Xylitol Poisoning In Dogs
Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products. Completely harmless to humans, xylitol is unfortunately toxic in dogs. Learn more here.