Vets4Pets logo
Text size:

Find A Practice

Use your location to find your closest practice

Request Appointment

Request an appointment at your local Vets4Pets

Chocolate poisoning in cats
Upside down cat.jpg

Cat advice: protect your pet from chocolate poisoning

Pets often love chocolate but it’s dangerous stuff

Need Cat Advice?

Search our expert cat articles


Keep it to yourself

There’s no denying it – a chocolate treat is something that makes most of us very happy! Unfortunately, many cats also love the taste of it, but it contains an ingredient called theobromide which is poisonous to our feline friends. You shouldn’t offer your cat chocolate at all as chocolate poisoning can lead to seizures, heart problems or even death.

Don't leave it lying round

Now you know it’s poisonous, we’re sure you won’t be offering chocolate to your cat any time soon. However, many of us still have chocolate in the house, and if it’s left lying around, your cat or kitten may still be able to eat it. Make sure chocolate is always wrapped back up and replaced in a cupboard or fridge to keep it out of harm’s way.

What to do

A lethal dose is considered to be 7 grams of baking chocolate or 60 grams of milk chocolate per kilogram of bodyweight. If you think your cat may have eaten a large amount, especially if it’s dark or baking chocolate, take your pet to the vet immediately.

The symptoms

The signs to look out for in a cat that has consumed chocolate include sickness, diarrhoea, restlessness and frequent urinating. The symptoms can be slow to appear, so if you think your cat has chomped through some chocolate but seems fine, don’t assume things are OK! If in doubt, always let a vet see your cat.