Dog Parasite Giardia Advice & Care
Giardia are a type of protozoa – a microscopic, single-celled parasite – which lives in the small intestines.
More about giardia
Signs of giardia can be short or long-term, and sometimes intermittent, with dogs experiencing flare-ups of signs.
Signs of a giardia infection include:
- Diarrhoea may be strong smelling, and can contain blood and mucus
- Bloated tummy from gas
- Poor weight gain in young puppies
You can’t stop your dog being exposed to giardia, but there are some top tips to reduce the risk of infection:
- Don't allow your dog to drink from muddy puddles.
- Always pick up your dog's faeces quickly although this will not stop your own dog becoming infected, if everyone followed this simple advice, contamination in the environment in general would be greatly reduced.
- Use boarding kennels that you trust and are cleaned regularly densely populated areas are much more likely to harbour giardia.
Health Plans to keep your dog healthy
At Vets4Pets we offer a range of Health Plans that make essential routine treatments more affordable. You'll save money on things like annual vaccinations, flea and worm treatment and routine health check-ups.