Vets4Pets logo
Text size:

Find A Practice

Use your location to find your closest practice

Request Appointment

Request an appointment at your local Vets4Pets

Protecting dogs from chocolate poisoning

Dog advice: the risk of chocolate poisoning

Don’t let a chocolate treat turn into a snack you’ll regret

Need dog Advice?

Search our expert dog advice articles


Keep clear of chocolate

Dogs love the taste of chocolate and will happily snack on it if it’s offered, or even if they find it lying around. However, quite apart from the risks of weight gain associated with treats between meals, chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can even be fatal if they eat enough of it. />

Not worth the risk

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine which cannot be broken down by your dog’s digestive system. Once eaten, it acts as a poison, so don’t feed chocolate treats to your pet. You should also take care to keep your own chocolate well out of reach of your dog.


If you suspect, or know, that your dog has eaten chocolate, look out for symptoms including sickness, diarrhoea, restlessness and frequent urinating. Dark or baking chocolate is particularly bad for your pet; a lethal dose is around 7 grams per kilogram of bodyweight (or 60 grams of milk chocolate).

Take action

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can take some time to appear, so if your dog appears to be well, don’t assume that everything is OK. Chocolate poisoning can lead to seizures and heart problems, so if your dog has eaten some, get in touch with Vets4Pets for urgent advice.