It’s important to think about your puppies toilet needs ahead of time – some questions include:
• Who will be around to train them?
• Are you going to use a cue word, and if so, what will it be?
• Will you use puppy pads? If so, do you have plenty in stock?
• Where outside do you want your puppy to toilet? Hard areas are often easier to clean, but if you want your dog to toilet on the grass on walks you’ll need to let them know that’s ok!
• How are you going to plan your puppies bathroom breaks into your schedule? Don’t forget, a young puppy won’t be able to hold it overnight.
Having a plan in advance and knowing where you want to end up is important. Don’t expect to reach your goals overnight though!
Toilet training can take puppies until they are six months old, and can be longer if there are any problems or confusions with their training.