Rabbits And Guinea Pigs And Fireworks
Keep your rabbits and guinea pigs stress free during the fireworks season
Signs to look out for include:
- Stamping their back legs
- Restlessness or just staying motionless
- Attempting to escape or hide
- Grinding their teeth
- Reduced appetite - this can be very dangerous in rabbits and guinea pigs!
- Change in toileting habits
If you have any questions at all, speak to a vet or nurse at your local surgery.
More about rabbits and guinea pigs and fireworks
- Bring the hutch inside if possible or cover with blankets
- Close the curtains and turn on the TV or play music to muffle the sound of the fireworks and block out the light flashes
- Never leave rabbits or guinea pigs in outdoor runs, make sure they are safely in their hutches/cages
- Ensure your furry friends have an extra safe area in their hutch or cage to hide away in and a companion they are familiar with
- Consider distracting your pet by giving them a new toy and offering their favourite food
- Ensure your rabbit is microchipped in case they escape and get lost.