Spring is a time for finally getting out into the garden, and this can involve the use of slug pellets, herbicides, fungicides and fertilisers. Sadly, although these products can help our gardens look great, many of them contain substances that are toxic to rabbits. Slug pellets may contain an ingredient called metaldehyde. This is extremely poisonous to pets, and causes drooling, twitching, fever, seizures (fits) and even death. Glyphosphate is another common ingredient, seen in weed killers, and can be an irritant to skin and the tummy if consumed. Weed killers and slug pellets also contain many other ingredients which may be bad for your rabbit. Fertilisers, which are very high in minerals, can cause toxic imbalances.
Check any slug or snail pellets for metaldehyde, and weed killers for glyphosphate. Lawn treatments and any poisons, such as rodenticides or slug pellets should be avoided if you can - even if you can keep your own pets away, they can impact on wildlife too. If used, rabbits should be kept off the area until the products are broken down and absorbed. Keep rabbits away from any bottles or bags of garden treatments, and make sure everyone in the family knows where is safe or not for your rabbit to roam.