Although beautiful to look at, not all plants taste as good as they look and most shouldn’t be eaten at all. It is important that you are aware of the main plants that could be harmful to your grazing pets such as guinea pigs, either eaten in the garden, or as part of spring bouquets inside.
These are some of the more common spring plants that your small animals could come into contact with, indoors or out:
If your pet does eat any of these plants they will quickly show signs of not feeling well. Some of the common indicators that your pet has ingested one of these plants are:
- Appetite loss
- Lethargy or weakness
- Abdominal pain or tenderness
- Severe dehydration
Severe poisoning can result in twitching, fitting or tremors, collapsing or fatal paralysis. Many of these plant are also poisonous to rabbits.
For grazing small furries such as guinea pigs, watch out for where they are free to roam. Keep them clear of any dangerous plants, and make sure they only have access to safe areas. When bringing in foods from the garden, make sure nothing poisonous has become caught up in your offerings.
If your small animal shows any of these signs after coming in contact with or eating any of these (or any other plant) you should contact your vet immediately.